Skin Care 101 - Nature Republic Aloe Vera Soothing Gel

by - January 11, 2015

Remember the Nature Republic gift bag I got from N.Cat?  In that awesome bunch, there's this product called Aloe Vera Soothing Gel.  At first, I thought it was a face moisturizer.  After a much closer look, I became even more clueless.  HAHA!  I couldn't figure out what to do with this giant tub.  But later on, I learned that it can be used all over the body including hair.  Basically, any area that needs moisture and even a little comfort, that's where to apply this gel.


The key ingredient is obviously, Aloe Vera.  I think no further explanation is needed because the plant is very popular in the skin care department.  Some people even grow it in their garden because of the various benefits.  I remember when we had one back in the days, I tried breaking a leaf just to see the gooey substance oozing out.  #curious

This soothing gel contains a whopping 92% of aloe vera extract.  Wow.  That's a lot.

Checking the other ingredients below, I saw a familiar name - alcohol.  Some of you might consider that as a major turn off and possibly become uninterested about the product in a snap.  Some say that its not very advisable to use cosmetics with alcohol content.  Let me tell you why.

According to a lab test, exposing the skin to a high amount of alcohol over a long period of time can damage the skin cells resulting to unhealthy skin.  More effects include damage to skin's protective barrier and oilier skin.

After a little research, I found out that alcohol can make thick (in terms of consistency) skincare products become very lightweight.  Some also use it to help the active ingredients penetrate into the skin and make the product more effective.  It can kill acne-causing bacteria as well leading to lesser chances of having a breakout.

I totally get why alcohol is like the most misunderstood ingredient in the cosmetics world.  Some say it's safe and some just cannot remove it from their watch-out list.  Personally, I don't see it as a biggie.  The only catch would be the amount and the type.  Sadly, Nature Republic didn't specify either or both.




Despite of that intriguing ingredient, this soothing gel continues to be a best selling item all over the world.  I guess its because it is a multipurpose product and you can pretty much make the most out of every tub.

This costs around 300 php locally.  Since the packaging is not very "preserving", I suggest transferring the gel into a squeezable tube container or something like that.


What I love about it:

  • very cooling 
  • no tingling sensation whatsoever
  • does not irritate the skin
  • smells like real aloe vera but there's a slight strong perfumy scent
  • not sticky

I've used it:
  • as a hair moisturizer just to give those dry ends some TLC
  • to moisturize my dying heels (HAHA!) 
  • as a body lotion because there was a time when it was very hot and humid and I didn't wanna put regular lotion on because I wanted to avoid feeling icky - it felt very nice because of that cooling effect
  • to moisturize my dry, chapped lips
  • as an eye mask - just slather on the eye area and put on cotton pads
  • as a face moisturizer but it's not very effective - I think it's not being absorbed by the skin really well
  • as a quick face cleanser - it didn't remove most of the makeup but I just loved the fresh feeling after


Some use it to reduce the swelling of their pimples.  Some apply it on their scalp to treat dandruff.  Some also use it to treat burns and rashes.  I'll tell you again.  There are many different ways to use this "all-around" gel.  Try to put it inside the fridge as well to make it cooler.  Perfect this summer!

Overall, I think it's nice to have a product like this because it's very affordable and has many uses.

A big thanks again to N.Cat for this freebie!


What do you think?

Like Nature Republic Philippines on Facebook.



your sweetest drug,



You May Also Like

0 comments

What do you think?