Sleek Matte Me Liquid Lipstick in Shabby Chic and Velvet Slipper

by - April 14, 2017

I hope you're having a relaxed holiday so far.  Mine involves normal work, blogging, editing and binge watching (hopefully haha 😊).

Anyway, I'm gonna talk about my two liquid lipsticks by the Sleek Makeup.  I think it's a UK brand and they made it to PH beauty scene in late 2015.

When I bought the Face Contour kit, I couldn't help but also cop a liquid lipstick.  I didn't get the best-selling Birthday Suit because it looks similar with LA Girl's Dreamy.  Of course, I could be wrong but besides that, it seems that everyone has that shade and I'm not really a type of person who usually fall for the hype.  Nevertheless, you already know that I'm collecting liquid lipsticks so I just had to try the formula myself.


The light as air texture provides you with comfortable wear for hours, that doesn’t cake, flake or dry out, ensuring long lasting colour all day. - sleekmakeup.com


Color & Finish

The one I bought along with the contour kit is Shabby Chic.  It's described as a muted dark pink.  It looks mauvy and it has more hints of purple than pink.  It's a great MLBB type of color and it complements medium skin well.  However, I find that it doesn't brighten up the face that much.  

I'm not sure why it looks a bit red here.  Maybe because of the lighting.  😒


Then, I got another tube during Lazada's Revolution Sale.  From the regular price of 450 php, I got it for 399 php.

The next shade is called Velvet Slipper, which is described as a muted deep plum.  It's a gorgeous dark berry color and I bet it looks good on deeper skin tones.  It's something that Rihanna would wear! 😉


Pigmentation-wise, they're both amazing.  One swipe would give you a full color and once they dry down to a matte finish, they would get a little darker.

They also give me a brighter smile.


Application

Its doe-foot applicator is a bit smaller but it still has that nice slanted shape that helps draw the outline.


Velvet Slipper is trickier to apply than Shabby Chic because obviously, it's a dark color and it would require more effort.  To be honest, I haven't succeeded making a very neat full lip with it.  Even when I took these photos, I had to re-do everything for 3 friggin' times!  And so far, that's the best I can do.  Haha!  😁

Formula

Matte Me has a subtle glue-ish scent but it also goes away fast.  So yea, you can consider it scentless. 

The consistency is thicker compared to the other liquid lipsticks I have.  It's almost moussy.  I also find that it's faster to dry and that makes the application of Velvet Slipper much worse.


So what usually happens is, the first swipe I do will already dry down even before I'm done evening the layer out.  When I try to work on those uneven areas, it gets streaky and it becomes harder for me to spread and blend everything.  Ugh.  😭

That's why most of the time, I don't even attempt to do a full lip and just do one swipe.  Then, I'll quickly put my lips together to blend and use a brush to feather out the outline.


I'm not sure if you can also tell but they look so dry on the lips.  There's a little shine on Shabby Chic but that's only because I put a generous amount of lip balm prior.

The formula feels a bit heavy but they're still comfortable to wear as they are not tacky.  


Here, I tried to mix the two and the result is just a darker version of Shabby Chic.  When it dried down, I couldn't tell the difference.  Haha!  😄

Lasting Power

I gotta say, they're both budge-proof unless you really rub your lips during a meal or with a very good makeup remover of course.  The inner part crumbles first but in a not so annoying way.  


Dupe Alert

I only found one color dupe and it's for Shabby Chic.  

I love this lippie by EM Cosmetics but I know she needs to retire now because she's already two years old.  She needs to go to my "I don't want to let you go but I need to take you out now from the rotation" box.  😭


Overall, I can look past the tricky application and fast-drying formula because I love the colors and the fact that it's not sticky on the lips.  

Between the two, I'm really digging Velvet Slipper more.  I swear.  It's bold yet still wearable.  You can pair it with only mascara and white eyeliner for eye makeup.


I also wanna share this photo because I did Mem Angel's makeup and I used Shabby Chic on her.


How about you?  What's your favorite Matte Me shade aside from Birthday Suit?  



Like Sleek Makeup Philippines on Facebook.


your sweetest drug,

You May Also Like

0 comments

What do you think?